Austin Healey "Frogeye"
The Austin-Healey Sprite is a small open sports car that was announced to the press in Monte Carlo by the British Motor Corporation (BMC) on 20th May 1958. It was intended to be a low-cost model that "a chap could keep in his bike shed", and be the successor to the sporting versions of the successful Austin Seven. The Sprite was designed by the Donald Healey Motor Company, which received a royalty payment from the manufacturers BMC (Austin & Morris). It first went on sale at a price of £669 and used a tuned version of the Austin A-Series engine and many other components from existing production cars to keep costs down. Known affectionately as the “Frogeye” because of the bulbous headlamps on the bonnet and the radiator grille that looks like a smiling mouth, these cute little sports cars were a common sight in Jersey during the swinging sixties as they were used as Hire Cars.
This cherry red Frogeye of ours has been lovingly restored to bring it up to the standard it is today. During the restoration a slightly more powerful 1098cc engine was fitted giving it some extra performance over the standard 998cc unit. The bucket seats and dash board were re-trimmed in black leather during its restoration and it comes with full weather equipment including a hard top.
When driven this little car it will undoubtedly bring a BIG smile to your face.
- 4 cylinders with twin SU Carburettors.
- 1098cc (from sprite Mk2).
- 4 speed manual gearbox.
- Original drum brakes.
- Rack and pinion steering
- Cherry red with black leather bucket seats and dash
- Tonneau cover, hood with side screens and optional hard top.
- Luggage space is accessed from behind the seats.
- Sun visors are not fitted so remember to bring some sun glasses.
- Restricted luggage space accessed from behind the seats (will take 2 small sized holdalls).
- Please be conscious that the brakes are the older style drum brakes of the 1950’s.
- The bonnet is heavy and awkward to open so best leave closed.
- Please drive with care and remember Jersey speed limits of 15 mph, 20 mph, 30 mph and a maximum of 40 mph apply.
- For open motoring please remember a hat, scarf and even some sun screen.
- Please refer to hire terms and conditions regarding mechanical damage.
This is a Vintage car that is delicate and valuable and requires mechanical respect and understanding. If you are not confident with your driving skills then best don’t hire it!