Austin Healey "Frogeye"
The Austin-Healey Sprite is a small open sports car that was announced to the press in Monte Carlo by the British Motor Corporation (BMC) on 20th May 1958. It was intended to be a low-cost model that "a chap could keep in his bike shed" and be the successor to the sporting versions of the successful Austin Seven. The Sprite was designed by the Donald Healey Motor Company, which received a royalty payment from the manufacturers and first went on sale at a price of £669. It used a tuned version of the Austin A-Series engine and many other components from existing production cars to keep costs down. Known affectionately as the “Frogeye” because of the bulbous headlamps on the bonnet and the radiator grille that looks like a smiling mouth, these cute little sports cars were a common sight in Jersey during the swinging sixties as they were used as hire cars.
This cherry red Frogeye of ours has been lovingly restored to bring it up to the standard it is today. During the restoration a slightly more powerful 1098cc engine was fitted giving it some extra performance over the standard 998cc unit. The bucket seats and dashboard were re-trimmed in black leather during the restoration and it comes with full weather equipment including a hard top.
When driven this little car it will undoubtedly bring a BIG smile to your face.
- 4 cylinders with twin SU carburettors.
- 1098cc (from Mk2 Sprite).
- 4 speed manual gearbox.
- Original drum brakes.
- Rack and pinion steering.
- Cherry red with black leather bucket seats and dash.
- Tonneau cover, hood with side screens and optional hard top.
- Luggage space is accessed from behind the seats.
- Sun visors are not fitted so remember to bring some sunglasses.
- Restricted luggage space accessed from behind the seats (will take 2 small sized holdalls).
- For open-top motoring please remember a hat, scarf and even some sunscreen.
- This is a valuable and delicate vintage car which requires mechanical respect and understanding. An appropriate and sympathetic driving style is required.
- Please refer to hire terms and conditions regarding mechanical damage.