Citroen 2CV Dolly
The 2CV was an economy car produced by the French manufacturer Citroën between 1948 and 1990. Whilst it was designed to be a basic motor car for the masses, it was actually technologically advanced and innovative, with deceptively simple Bauhaus-inspired bodywork that belied the quality of the design. Factors like low cost, simplicity of use, versatility, reliability and off-road driving ability were all taken into consideration, with the famous requirement of being able to transport “two peasants and a basket of eggs across a ploughed field without breaking any of the eggs!” To achieve this, it had a light and easily serviced engine, extremely soft long travel suspension, high ground clearance and for oversized loads, a full width canvas sunroof. During a production run of 42 years, 3,872,583 Deux Chevaux were produced.
This low mileage 2CV Dolly is one of the last built and was manufactured in Portugal, after production was transferred from France in 1988 a little before the end came for the car, in July 1990. Well maintained and in excellent condition (cue Louis Armstrong singing….)
“You're lookin' swell, dolly.......I can tell, dolly You're still glowin'...you're still crowin'...you're still goin' strong!”
- 2 cylinders with carburettor (unleaded).
- 602 cc developing 29 bhp.
- 4 speed gearbox with bulkhead mounted gear shift.
- 4 seater with inertia reel seat belts front and rear.
- Light and manageable steering.
- Cream and green / grey fabric interior.
- Full length retractable fabric roof.
- Reasonably sized luggage area.
- The quirky location of the gear selector takes a little getting used to.
- Please drive with care and remember Jersey speed limits of 15 mph, 20 mph, 30 mph and a maximum of 40 mph apply.
- For roof open motoring, please remember a hat or scarf and some sunscreen.
- Please refer to hire terms and conditions regarding mechanical damage.